Mountain View
biomedical and healthCAre Data Discovery Index Ecosystem
help Advanced Search
Title: Tiger Line Census Files 1990. District of Columbia and Virginia.      
dateReleased:
11-30-2007
downloadURL: http://hdl.handle.net/1902.29/CD-0071
ID:
hdl:1902.29/CD-0071
description:
This CD consists of the TIGER/Line Census Files, 1990. The type of File is geographic. The 1990 Census TIGER/Line file is an extract of selected geographic and cartographic information from the Census Bureau's TIGER data base. The Census Bureau is releasing the 1990 Census TIGER/Line files to provide data users with the final 1990 census boundaries (including voting districts) and to support the 1990 Census Data Products Program. The 1990 Census TIGER/Line file provides digital data for all 1 990 census map features and boundaries, the associated 1990 census final tabulation geographic area codes (such as 1990 census block numbers), and the codes for the January 1, 1990 legal and statistical areas on both sides of each line segment of every mapped feature. This version also contains the final voting district codes and the 1990 census designated place codes. The 1990 Census TIGER/Line file contains basic information for 1990 census geographic area codes, basic map features and their names, and address ranges in the form of 12 'Record Types.' The record types are as follows: 1. Basic Data Records (Individual Feature Segment Records) 2. Shape Coordinate Points (Feat ure Shape Records) 3. Additional Decennial Census Geographic Area Codes 4. Index to Alternate Feature Names 5. Feature Name List 6. Additional Address Range and ZIP Code(2) Information 7. Landmark Features 8. Area Landmarks A. Additional Polygon Geographic Area Codes I. Area Boundaries P. Polygon Location R. Record Number Range Each segment record contains appropriate decennial census and, when appropriate, FIPS(1) geographic area codes, latitude/longitude coordinates for all line segments and point features, the name of the feature Geographic Coverage: The 1990 Census TIGER/Line files cover the entire United States, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands of the United States, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, the other Pacific entities that were part of the Trust Territory of the United States for the 1980 census (the Marshall Islands and the Federated States of Micronesia), and the Midway Islands (to provide complete mapping within the boundaries of the State of Hawaii). The data in the 1990 Census TIGER/Line files include information comparable to what was in the 1980 GBF/DIME-Files, which covered roughly 2 percent of the land area of the United States. The remaining 98 percent of the land area has been added using data that originated with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) based on the 1:100,000-scale USGS maps, supplemented with Census Bureau-compiled information and from other USGS map sheets. NOSB= Note to Users: This CD is part of a collection located in the Data Archive of the Odum Institute for Research in Social Science, at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The collection is located in Room 10, Manning Hall. Users may check the CDs out subscribing to the honor system. Items can be checked out for a period of two weeks. Loan forms are located adjacent to the collection.
description:
U.S. Bureau of the Census; U.S. Department of Commerce, 2014, "Tiger Line Census Files 1990. District of Columbia and Virginia.", http://hdl.handle.net/1902.29/CD-0071
name:
U.S. Bureau of the Census
U.S. Department of Commerce
homePage: http://www.harvard.edu/
name:
Harvard University
ID:
SCR:011273
abbreviation:
DataVerse
homePage: http://thedata.org/
name:
Dataverse Network Project
ID:
SCR:001997